Thursday, June 28, 2007

Reconciled

I have just witnessed a miracle.

There were a handful of people present and I think I was the only one to see it . . . or at least the only one to acknowledge it at the time.

The miracle of reconciliation.

I got to see my aunt in a adult home just a couple of days ago. That isn't the miracle that I am referring too. But it is the jumping off point to an amazing story that I will never be able to do justice.

Helen has just moved here from Florida. She has just turned 80. She has white hair. She is very thin though they tell me she is putting on some weight. My uncle (Helen's brother) says now she is almost casting a shadow. She is missing many of her teeth and she doesn't always make sense of what is going on around her. But for the most part she seems well aware and even stills carries a quick sense of humor.

My father lives about 10 minutes from Helen. He checks in on her on occasion and makes sure her caregivers have what they need to tend to her. He is the one that brought me to see her on Tuesday of this week. He warned me that when I saw her I needed to keep in mind that she was tons better than when she first came in from Florida.

The place she is staying is a little farm that only has chickens and ducks. There is a pond and a lot of wide-open spaces. Helen stays with a couple other women who have their own set of needs. All in all it is very peaceful and Helen is doing really well. A great family. A great place to regroup.

When we pulled up and got out of the van everyone one was sitting in lawn chairs enjoying the cool early evening after a long hot summer day. Before dad could tell Helen who I was, she saw me, ran toward me with arms open wide shouting, "Why, that's my nephew!" and she gave me a great big hug. Dad and I were quite impressed . . . I hadn't seen Helen in almost 30 years.

Thirty years. That is a long time. But here is where that miracle comes in. My dad and his sister, Helen, hardly spoke to each other that whole time. A family rift. Deeper and wider than any other I have ever seen or experienced.

Dad stepped in to help a bad situation. He did a hard thing. He did the right thing. But the result was a broken relationship. Harsh words spoken . . . then no words at all . . . just an occasional "he said, she said" story from other family members.

Life went on and time passed by. Helen moved to Florida and news was sparse. But right around the end of last year we received word that things weren't going well for Helen. She was in a bad place and helpless. My dad's other sister went down to bring her north to be close to the family again. It was then we realized how bad it had gotten.

There is too much detail about what they found and it isn't the point of this entry. Suffice it to say, Helen's siblings literally saved her life on the eve of her 80th birthday. And she eventually ended up in this adult home.

The miracle?

I stood there and watched as my dad and his once estranged sister laughed together, picked on each other, hugged and even kissed each other. My dad would be talking to others there and Helen would slide up next to him and lay her head on his shoulder and chest . . . just to snuggle into a side hug.

At one point she turned to me and said that every time she looks at my father she just cries. I asked her why. As she pushed the tears way and wiped her nose she said, "When I look at him I realize how lonely I am . . . (pause) . . . and how much I love him."

She hated my dad for what he did. She was very bitter.

But now, she seems like one who has come to her senses. Peaceful, loving, caring, needy, open, compassionate.

I never thought I would see the day. But I did.

We said our goodbyes . . . a few times (that is where the kisses came in). As we were leaving and well into our dinnertime dad and I talked about the events of that late afternoon. His whole attitude was this . . . you always stand by family. There was a lot of water that went under that bridge. He is grateful for that bridge and for being on this side of it all. God is Good! Miracles never cease.

I will never forget that day. I thank God for being allowed to see my family mended is such an amazing way.

Wow!

For What It's Worth

Take it . . .

2 comments:

Laura said...

WOW! That is an awesome story. The stuff you only get to witness a handful of times in a lifetime, and the kid of stuff that just makes you feel grateful to be alive!

Great story...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, That IS an awesome story! It gives me hope that my family's divisions - they are huge and have resulted in the "loss" of nearly all of my aunts and uncles - will be healed one day. Thank you for sharing that. It was exactly what I needed to read and believe right now.
Hayna

Inspiration for the day!