Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Circle of Firsts

Today was one of those eventful, non-eventful days.

Nothing big in the grand scheme of things. But there were big things for me.

Today, I decided to run a short errand on my motorcycle. Only it's not mine . . . just one I've borrowed for the week. From here on out I may refer to it as mine even though its not . . . yet. And for the record it is a 81' Honda Silverwing 500. It is in great shape and I have grown to love it.

Anyway . . . I decided to run a short errand on my motorcycle. As you may know, I have just recently gotten my licence (Check out Born to be Wild?!?) So, I guess that means I will be looking to find myself experiencing many firsts. Much like the ones to follow.

I had to go to the FedEx store which in our town is by the airport. The directions I was given were to take the freeway just one exit. Living in little towns I rarely get up above 45mph and have only been as fast as 60. The freeway is a full 65 which means you had better be going over 70 to keep up with traffic. This was the second full day that I had the bike and my confidence has been growing every day. So I decided . . . there is no better time then the present.

So off I went.

I came off the on ramp and there it was . . . in my review mirror. A, larger than life, orange 18 wheeler. He was in the right hand lane and was unable to cross into the left because there was car there. So, in a not so confidant thought, I said to myself "Gulp, there's no better time than the present."

So I gunned it.

I looked down at my speedometer and I was at 70 and climbing. I decided to let off and try and enjoy the ride. This is where I will note that my bike has no wind shield of any kind. And for some reason I prefer an opened faced helmet with goggle type glasses. There I was, hanging on for dear life waiting for the wind to take me flying back into that gigantic truck that "let" me out. I was grateful for the exit and couldn't get down to more manageable speeds.


I got to the FedEx place, I looked up and saw a very large, ominous cloud. There was also that eerie feeling in the air that you get right before a storm.


Let me back up. The online weather site that I go to said that there was a 30 percent chance of rain. I checked so that something like this wouldn't happen. I should have known better . . . but I guess it was a learning experience.

The woman in at the desk was very nice and rushed my transaction so that I could beat the storm. I almost did. As I got to the bike it was beginning to rain. And these were the huge rain drops.


I got on the bike and start back to town. I decided that I would ride home (which was closer at this point), change my clothes and return to work using the car.

The rain was sharp on my face. I drove really slowly. The wind was amazing.

As I came back into town I thought I would pull under a car port on a hotel and wait for a break. But also . . . as I came into town I found it to be less windy and I could get away with driving slower. I decided to continue homeward.

After going through the heart of the city I headed for the bridge brings us to our side of town. Just before I hit the bridge I was hit sideways with a big gust of wind. I regain control of the bike and questioned my decision. I crept along praying the whole way.

The bridge in town is long and has a curve to it. As I rounded the curve I watched the trees on the other side dancing in the wind. There was construction on the road below and all the dust and dirt that they were kicking up was being carried off and looked like smoke from a huge fire. I made it across the bridge and decided to take the first exit. I found myself in the middle of the off ramp waiting for cars held up by the construction with the storm just howling. I was starting to wonder if we were going to get hammered by falling branches from the trees above.

Finally, I made it home. I got dressed. I tried to shake off the events. And I headed back to work. Just as suddenly as the storm came . . . it left again. The sun was up the sky was blue. And I was kicking myself because the weather was great for riding again.

I heard later that night that the airport (and the FedEx store) was hit with hail . . . it pile up almost like snow . . . that was another bike riding first for me.

For What it's Worth

Take it . . .

No comments:

Inspiration for the day!