Friday, December 22, 2006

A New Approach . . .

The following is a story. It could be used allegorically or it could be just that . . . a story. Comments are welcome.

Today I recalibrate. I looked around and got a new understanding of my situation. I found a new perspective that gave me better incite into my life.

I am not building a building or monument. I am not a painter nor do I decorate. But I do have a scaffold. I have a scaffold because that is what I build. Every season. Every year. Every so often. I add more. Higher or stronger. I build my scaffold.

Sometimes I rebuild after weakness or storm. I learn from mistakes. I reset the boards and strengthen the angles. I replace damage and square off the corners. Then . . . I continue to build.

You shake your head and say my work is in vain. I ask you for another board and politely disagree. There is so much to see. So much to learn. So many things to discover. And so I build.

And what do I see. Landscape. Trees and flowers. Hills and valleys. Fields and moors. I see deer, cows and horses. I see roads and buildings. Parks and playgrounds. Churches and prisons.

Most of all I see people. All types of people. Different shapes, sizes, and color. Different ages, experiences, and lifestyles. I learn from people. People have a lot to say if you ask the right questions. And as I am their student I learn to build. I learn to grow.

The more I ascend the more I understand. Like looking over a large jigsaw puzzle I can see how the pieces start to fit together. I start to understand flowers and trees. Hill and valleys. Fields and moors. I start to understand animals and also man-made things. And I start to understand people.

As I process all this understanding I become more clear about myself. About who I am. About why I build. About how I fit. And about how it isn't all about me and how I fit. It's about landscape. It's about people.

At the end of the day I find I am another level higher and a few more boards stronger. I find I am closer to the heavens. Closer to my God.

The building, my friend is not in vain. The more I build. The more I climb. The more I see. The more I experience God. The closer I get to him.

So hand me another board and a handful of nails. Join me as we climb. As we learn. As we build.

For what it's worth.

Take it . . .

No comments:

Inspiration for the day!